Thursday, April 25, 2013

CONSIDERING THE SOURCE


I don't normally get political on this page -- but I saw this story today and it just breaks my heart.  A garment factory in Bangladesh COLLAPSED, killing 123 people.  ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THREE PEOPLE -- those are the dead, not mention of the injured!  Friends -- our belief that we in this country deserve "lower prices overall" feeds the beast of the system that creates and supports substandard work conditions in third world countries.  We as a country full of consumers need to THINK ABOUT THE SOURCE!!!!  Where do our clothes come from?  Where does the fabric come from?  How can a dress cost $20?  Who is slaving away in substandard conditions so we can have CHEAP STUFF?

How is the loss of 123 lives in Bangladesh any less tragic than the loss of 3 in Boston?  We live in an era of commercial terrorism!  The sad thing is that most of us "prefer" not to think of this or our entitled attitudes about "getting a great deal".  Please -- I am asking you to think about the karmic cost of our collective greed. What is the COST of the PRICE of our CLOTHES, ELECTRONICS not to mention OUR FOOD? 

I'm not professing to have all the answers.  Shoot -- I know how it feels to be broke!  I have never lived on as little money as I have since starting the artistic dream of having my own design studio.  People will pay crazy amounts for all types of things -- but are somehow outraged at the idea of paying $18 an hour for someone to custom make, alter or repair a one of a kind couture item to someone with 30 years and thousands of hours of experience!!  Go figure!!

But I do have an amazing appreciation for art, artists, creativity, handwork and quality craftsmanship.  Sometimes the beauty of it brings me to tears when I see it.  The fact that someone lovingly put HOURS of their life into the design and creating of an item overwhelms me.  THAT is something we ALL CAN DO.  We can stop and take the time to appreciate every item we purchase.  

We can become MINDFUL consumers.  Mindful of the skill, the time, the hard work.  Mindful of the art, the design, whether we be at a local art fair, small retailer, or farmer's market.  Gratitude and mindfulness can change a lot when it motivates our spending.  

So PLEASE -- shop local.  Buy handmade, homegrown -- think about the source.  Purchase less volume of cheap stuff and more individually well made, well grown things.  Slow down, appreciate what you spend and what you purchase.  I can't help but think that collectively we can become a part of making the world a better place.  

Thank you for your time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151363904541752&set=a.67150811751.85843.7630216751&type=1&theater

4 comments:

  1. As a post script to this blog, an article appeared on CNN online. The death toll from the factory collapse has now risen to 420! One female worker was quoted as saying, "I began working in Bangladesh's garment industry at the age of 12, making just $3 a month. I went to work because my father had a stroke and the family needed money to cover basic living expenses. I worked 23 days in a row, sleeping on the shop floor, taking showers in the factory restroom, drinking unsafe water and being slapped by the supervisor. By the time I was a young woman working at a factory that made clothing for a big U.S. retailer, I knew the time had come for change."
    We as American consumers have to change our entitled attitudes and voracious appetites for overt conspicuous consumption of inexpensive items (that we really don't need) made at the expense of others lives. Here is the article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/02/opinion/akter-bangladesh/index.html?sr=sharebar_facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. I as you know have been in the garment industry for many years, and it still makes me want to scratch my head every time I walk through a Dept Store.......Who buys all of this stuff....Over consumption , over production For what and who? love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response. I read this week that the death toll of this accident is now over 1300! There is a huge referendum going on and a petition to sign by many of the top companies demanding better conditions for workers that make the clothing. Many have signed, but a noticeable hold out is Walmart! Bad juju!! They need to take note of the Abercrombie and Fitch fiasco!

      Delete
  3. Now the death toll from the collapse of the Bangladeshi factory is over 1,100! What is the cost of low prices?

    As a retailer, I could be buying all kinds of things made overseas and yet I hesitate and look instead for locally made and fair trade. No item of clothing or nicknack is worth a life, let alone thousands of them. Just because they're miles and miles away, or already poor doesn't make it ok.

    ReplyDelete